Undoubtedly, nothing is exciting as seeing the growth of traffic to your site or blog. Many bloggers have experienced this, but it is never a pleasant moment when you realize that most of the 129 comments generated on your new post are fake or spam comments. What’s worse, unwelcome spammers could torpedo your SEO efforts thanks to publishing comments without your approval. It significantly reduces the amount of decent traffic you might generate. It’s an indication to readers that you aren’t paying attention to your website and comments. For this reason, alone, it is important to keep them at bay using the best in anti-spam plugins. Austin SEO Geeks Austin, TX shared with me this excellent list.
An excellent plugin features the following;
- Zero client side actions, for example, asking genuine commenters to type unintelligible captcha images.
- Disallow the spam comment from reaching the WordPress database.
- Offer a straightforward registration process thanks to easy automation by bots.
- Trackback validation by comparing client IP address and the address of the server.
- Provide weekly and monthly statistics of detected spam.
Top 10 Best Anti-Spam Plugins
- Akismet – No list is complete without mentioning WordPress’ own spam plugin. Akismet offers one of the enterprising levels of spam protection to your WordPress site, allowing users to install and activate it using an API key. It automatically uploads all comments to the Akismet server, take them through a serious of antispam algorithms, publish the correct comments and trash the rest. akismet.com
- Stop Spammer – It prevents spam content, gives login checks, offers registrations to stop all fraudulent and illegal activities on your WordPress completely. It uses Honeypots to trace, catch and block spam comments. wordpress.org/plugins/stop-spammer-registrations-plugin
- Antispam Bee – One of the trendiest anti-spam plugin, Antispam Bee allows trusted and appropriate comments for the blog. It also prevents comments, pings and tracks them to a spam database. After several days, blog owners clear the spam database. wordpress.org/plugins/antispam-bee/
- Clean Talk – It is a premium cloud-based plugin that blocks spam comments, bot signups, and trackbacks. Here, it uploads all submissions to its servers, takes them through multiple validations checks and move the approved comments for publishing and discard the spam comments. wordpress.org/plugins/cleantalk-spam-protect/
- Wang Guard – It is one of the most comprehensive anti-spam plugins for any WordPress installation. It puts a high protective layer in any registration process that users intend to go through, warding off unwanted users and comments from your WordPress. wordpress.org/plugins/wangguard/
- Spam Destroyer – It protects sites from automated comment bots to remain unobtrusive to only genuine and legitimate commenters. It is a simple to use the plugin, requires no settings; only install and play. wordpress.org/plugins/spam-destroyer/
- WordPress Zero Spam – It is one of the free anti-spam plugins on the market, built based on a concept developed by Mozilla. It operates on the basis that even a simple comment must be typed from a web browser; mobile or desktop version. It employs a client-side comment validation to rule out spam bots from the comments. wordpress.org/plugins/zero-spam/